Wednesday, April 09, 2008

No more suffering....

Sister Betty Garrison passed away very early this morning. She was loved by many and will be missed by many. I haven't always visited like I should, but Betty, or "grandmother," as most call her, was special to me.

One of my fondest memories of Betty comes from elementary school. On more than one occasion, she dressed like a fortune teller for the fall festival and handed out those little red floppy fish. If you've never seen one, you don't know what I'm talking about. But Betty was dressed with a bandana, tons of gaudy jewelry and her own crystal ball. I knew it was Betty, but I had to get my fortune told anyway (you had to get your fortune told to get the fish)....I don't remember today what she said, but I'm sure she had more insight into my own fortune than many of the kids that were only strangers to her.

Of more recently, I'll never forget what she told me when I took Levi to see her a while back. "Well, you can't expect a little boy to act like a grown man." This was in reference to Levi's behavior at church and some of the comments made by some of her own generation. Because of her illness, she never had the opportunity to sit in church while Levi was screaming, which might have given her a little different take on this, but it still made me feel better!

I'm sure Mrs. Betty is doing one of the things she loves most today-singing in heaven. Please remember her family in the coming days as they say their goodbyes and deal with this loss.


Photobucket

3 comments:

Alissa and Brody Silly Nanna said...

Kim I do recall Grandmother talking about this a couple of times when Clay was little. We will miss her very much.

Anonymous said...

It is a sad day I remember Mrs.Betty was my Sunday School teacher and she would always have a can and would say as I entered 'Mary put your tickle box in my can' Because I would always talk she was the best teacher and was so smart. I will miss her dearly. Mary

David Courington said...

I thought of Betty and the fortune telling and meant to mention it at the funeral. I went in the room, which was dark, and sat in the back. She would tell the kids, "I know you haven't been being good. You aren't studying like you should are you, etc." It was one of the funniest things I can think of. Most of the kids took it well, even though they paid to get a bit of a dressing down.