Monday, January 01, 2007

Reflections on 2006 and Anticipation for 2007

What is it about New Years Day that causes such a need to reflect on the past year and look forward to the new one? Isn't it just one more day in the calendar of life? Yes, it is, but it's always nice to have time to reflect and look forward to things to come, Lord willing.
2006 brought several changes in the Kelsey household. First, Mr. Levi learned to walk this year. We looked forward to that in great anticipation, but now I don't know why! He has certainly had a challenging year for me, but I am looking forward to him settling down a little bit (especially at church because he's great at home). I am also hoping that he/we will conquer potty training in 2007. We'll see. It would be nice not to have to change any diapers in 2008! Don't get me wrong, Levi is one of the sweetest children I know. He's so loving and so smart. He learned to count to 10 already and knows a lot of his ABC's. Maybe will conquer 10-20 and the rest of the ABC's this year!
Addi has just blossomed in the year 2006 and I know 2007 will only bring more changes. She played in her first organized sport (soccer) and is already asking to play softball in 2007! She is also sleeping in her own bed now EVERY night! What a wonderful change that has made for all of us! It's nice to sleep without someone's knee in your back.
2006 was not perfect. No year is. I reflect on this year and the passing of two very special people in my life- Sister Shelia Brasher and Sister Lila Mae Hand. Their passings are not sad in and of themselves because they are both receiving their rewards, but it is always sad for selfish reasons. PaPa having to go to the nursing home has also made this a difficult year. When you are enduring trials it's easy to forget what we're told in God's word, that the trying of our faith produces patience. How true!
Dad's last sermon for 2006 was titled, "Looking on the Brighter Side." I'm really going to take that and make that one of my primary resolutions for 2007. Life is so much more enjoyable when you have a positive attitude. We had about 20+ family and friends over last night to ring in the new year. I couldn't help but think how lucky I am to have so many people that I love and that love me in return. There's no better way to bring in the new year than to spend time with the people you love.
I would be amiss reflecting on the past year(s) and not mentioning Paul. He said yesterday, "Do you remember that 10 years ago we were chatting online on New Years?" I hadn't remembered that specifically, but did when he reminded me. It's hard to believe we've known each other for over 10 years! I can't say enough how much our marriage has enriched my life in so many ways. I fell in love with Paul very quickly after we started talking to each other. Some thought I was crazy (I may be, but I wasn't crazy over that). My love for him has grown so much in the last 10 years that I can't imagine what the next 10 hold for us. He is such a hard worker and leader for our family. No, our life hasn't always been perfect, but noone's is. We have to work on it every day, but it's worth it. Paul, I love you so much.
Well, I guess I've rambled enough for the new year. I look forward with "bright" anticipation to what 2007 will hold for us. To all my family and friends, I love you all and wish you all a very happy and prosperous new year!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Happy New Year! I hope for many more blessed years for you and your family. Thanks for having us over last night. It was a blast as usual! I love you all!

Paul said...

Aww. I love you too! You are such a wonderful mother and wife I am blessed to have you by my side!