Monday, January 08, 2007

Tough Skin

Over the past few days, I've decided that you really have to have tough skin to be the mother of a preschooler. Addi has been just telling the truth about everything, regardless of who's feelings she might hurt. First, let me just say, I'm aware that I'm fat. I have been fat since I was in the third grade. I think I made it all the way through school without being tortured about that too much. Who knew that my four year old would innocently deal out some of the most hurtful comments I've ever heard in my life???

A couple of weeks ago we were heading home from visiting Daniel and Mandi. Paul was eating some of Addi's Cheez-its. She was starting to realize he was eating several of them to which she said, "Daddy, if you keep eating my cheese crackers, you're going to be as big as mommy."

The next day Addi was "exercising" in her room to an old Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies tape. She came in my room and said, "Mommy, you need to come in here and exercise with me." I said, "Addi, I don't want to right now." To which she replied, "Well, you know exercise is good for fat and you are very fat." To which I frustratingly replied, "Well, you're not skinny Addi." To which she replied again, "Well, at least I'm exercising for it." Okay, I'll give her credit for that.

This week has been no better. She, as innocently as possible, compared me to the fat opera singer in the movie Curious George.

Last night we were watching tv together when a commercial for light yogurt came on (the one with the Itsy Bitsy Yellow Polka Dot Bikini song in it). She quickly said, "Mommy, you need to get you some of that. It's good for getting rid of fat."

I have to be honest and say I've shed a few tears over it. Not because of Addi, but because it really hit home that my size already affects her. I don't want her to go to kindergarten and be the kid with the fattest mom. So, I've really been hitting the weight watcher hard this week. I have been up and down, up and down, but I'm resolving to do better! As a matter of fact, I'm going to step out on a limb and say that I'm going to chart my progress on my blog. Maybe humiliation will prompt some success! I'm not going to post my weight (I'm not up to that yet), but I will post my progress.


7 comments:

Emily said...

Well, I'm not going to discourage excercise (goodness knows that I need to be doing WAY more of it), but, Kim you are beautiful, both on the outside and in! Please don't forget it! So, good luck with efforts and I wish you all the success!

Emily said...

oops, I meant to say, "good luck with YOUR efforts..."

Paul said...

Just for the record, those Cheese-its were reduced fat.

Addi has a way of being blunt, doesn't she. I'm just glad she hasn't called me "Mr. Chunky" like I was called by one of my students a few years ago.

Granna said...

At least she did not say you looked like Curious George!

Katie said...

Kids have a way of taking your insecurities and bringing them out in the open. I have an ugly mole on the side of my neck & I have had more than one kid touch it & say "Ew." I agree with Emily - you are beautiful & a great mom. Addi will grow up one day and she will remember what a good mom you were to her, not your size. Good luck with Weight Watchers! Maybe we could start walking.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you are talking about! Hailey has "hurt" me so many times and did it so sweetly lol. I am behind you 100% I have been trying for years...literally years to get back down to my weight before I was pregnant. It's hard. I have never been considered skinny by any means and I did go through a lot of torment in high school because of my weight. I have been doing Weight Watchers too on and off the past year...mostly off :) but I am back on track now. I wish you all the luck in the world! Pray for my success too!

Anonymous said...

Kim, I will NEVER forget when my sweet Hannah, at about age 9, saying to me in Goody's dressing room "Momma, you aren't fat" I was feeling good about her comment, but then she finished the comment with "until you bend over".. in the sweetest voice ever! She had no clue she was hurting my feelings. I quickly got dressed and left the store with a very low self-esteem. Since then, I try to NEVER let her in the dressing room with me! Hang in there! Cindi McGee